There’s about 2300′ of climbing on this 44-mile ride, with a lot of “out and back” on beautiful roads you may have never ridden. Experience these hills and views, in order of occurrence:
- Start from the Hammatt St. parking lot in Ipswich
- Town Farm Rd. out and back, up Town Hill at Highland Cemetery
- Pineswamp Rd. out and back, skirting Turkey Hill
- Mount Pleasant St. in Ipswich
- Bush Hill on Kennedy St.
- Scott Hill off of Topsfield Rd.
- Turner Hill (big climb)
- Some easy riding, then a hill on Chebacco Rd.
- Castle Hill at the Crane Estate
- Heartbreak Hill on Argilla Rd.
- Nice side trip to Labor in Vain Creek, with a little climb
- Plover Hill at Great Neck
- A steep climb up Town Hill on Spring St.
- Back to the start
44 mile Ipswich Hills Ride, 2300 ft. of climb
35 mile ride with 1300 of climbing.
15.5 miles, Total elevation gain: 995 ft., Maximum grades: 9-14%
41 mile ride: All of the hills in Ipswich and some quiet roads, 1948 ft elevation
Hills in Ipswich Massachusetts
Bartholomew Hill – 204′ off Linebrook behind Doyon School
Bear (Boar) Hill – off Topsfield Road near Little Turner
Bush Hill – 193′ off Topsfield Road
Castle Hill – 165′ at end of Argilla Road
Elm Hill – Marini’s Hill (Elm Hill Farm)
Heartbreak Hill – off Argilla Road 164 ft.
Jewett Hill – 212′ off High Street at Rowley line
Little Turner Hill- 197′ off Topsfield Road
Plover Hill – Great Neck
Prospect Hill – 262′ Ipswich/Rowley line
Sagamore Hill – 172′ Ipswich/Hamilton line
Scott Hill – 180′ off Topsfield Road
Steep Hill – off Argilla Road facing Crane Beach
Tilton’s Hill – near Treadwell Island
Town Hill – 184′ East of town center
Turkey Hill – 240′ between Pineswamp & Topsfield Road
Turner Hill – 250′ off Topsfield Road
Vine Hill – off Topsfield Road (Masonic Temple)
Windmill Hill – County & Essex Roads (Cable Hosp